Igreja and Convento de Santa Clara
The Convento de Santa Clara was founded by João Gonçalves da Câmara, the son of the island’s discoverer and second «captain-grantee» of Funchal, in the late 15th century.
The first nuns entered the convent in December, 1496.
The building suffered reforms in the 17th century and became a large and magnificent complex. In the beginning of the 18th century, it housed seventeen richly-decorated chapels, each with its own altar.
The Convento de Santa Clara belonged to the Câmara family, but was taken over by the State at the time of the Liberal Revolution, following the extinction of Religious Orders.
Convento de Santa Clara is currently the home to the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary.Funchal