Colégio dos Jesuítas
After the attacks of the French pirates in 1566, three Jesuit priests came to the island to inspirit the population and ensure that the religious beliefs of the people of Madeira were not lost.
The impact of the mission was such that the Jesuits eventually decided to establish themselves on the island and build this magnificent monument.
After being purchased by the Autonomous Region of Madeira it was handed over to the University of Madeira. It now houses the Rectorate and other university departments.Funchal