Igreja de São Pedro
The Igreja de São Pedro was built from 1590 to 1596 to be the parish seat. Some improvements were made to the original building in the second half of the 17th century, but it would be the extensive reform carried out between 1737 and 1743 that would define its current appearance.
Its baroque and renaissance façade is complemented by a richly-decorated interior with works dating from the 17th and 18th centuries, splendid carved and gilded wood panels, delicate, balanced paintings and «azulejo» panels. The beauty of this decoration is heightened by refined jewellery and furniture from the 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, particularly the splendid choir-stalls, renaissance and mannerist in inspiration.Funchal